This week’s episode of the Zero to a Million Podcast with Zach Rego features Chris Meade, CEO and co-founder of CROSSNET. He recalls how they came up with the idea of a crossnet as a fun mashup of their favorite games and how they made up the rules as they played it.
Chris shares their go-to-market strategy of just playing the game and their marketing strategies which leaned heavily on Facebook ads. One of their first main obstacles was their messaging as different people with literally different voices would speak to the market on various platforms differently.
LinkedIn has also been massive in connecting Chris with people who he thinks are great fits for Crossnet. He shares the difficulties in finding a trusted and reliable PR agency to get eyeballs, and how they work today with Amazon agencies for PPC and others for Google and Facebook ads and email.
- Inventing Crossnet: The cross between four square and volleyball
- Going to market by demoing the game in Miami and word of mouth
- Marketing: Paid ads on Facebook and unifying brand message across platforms
- Finding true partnerships in PR, Amazon, Google ads, Facebook ads and email
- Connecting on LinkedIn
- Retail support and building communication with buyers
Chris: "Everyone talks about proof of concept and all this garbage. That was our proof of concept. We just played and we had fun and we're like, alright, let's get to work."
Chris: "It's all about the messaging, making sure they're playing correctly because nobody wants to buy a product that they're playing terribly. It looks awful. It's all about getting them outside and actually playing and getting them to be a part of our community."
Chris: "We never paid for press a day in our life. It was reaching out and being genuine. The best thing has been LinkedIn for us. I built up a very, very nice LinkedIn following. I love to read, I don't know about you, but I genuinely enjoy reading good entrepreneurial pieces."
You can connect with Chris in the links below:
- LinkedIn - https://www.linkedin.com/in/ACoAAAlGNrQBqj1pCKbD1o4lNdalsiF6Arb5rJs/
- Website - https://www.crossnetgame.com/